Maltexo Brand and Production History
|1862||Brewery and Malthouse built on Well Park/Willowbank site( Dunedin ) by George Duncan.|
|1863||Duncan joined forces with James Wilson but Brewery operated by Richardson and Booth.|
|1864||Well Park property transferred to Wilson.|
|1865||Wilson-Duncan partnership officially commenced.
Wilson managed brewery.
|1867||Wilson formed partnership with Birch. Other partnerships operated in following years.|
|1872||Fire destroyed much of site.
Brewery building rebuilt of stone. This still stands on site today.
|1876||3 storey malt house and kiln was built on Well Park premises.|
|1894||Wilson was bankrupted.|
|1913||James Wilson's eldest son CA Wilson bought the land and buildings and formed Wilson Malt Extract Co Ltd
- concentrated on Malt Extract with production commencing in 1913.Produced Maltexo and Maltine.
|1919||Maltexo brand trademark filed in 1919 and registered on 17 Jan 1920.|
|1920||Maltings established in Ward St.|
|1926||Company restructured and changed to Dunedin Brewery and Wilson Malt Extract Co Ltd.|
|1934||Brewing and Malt Extract operations were split into separate premises.
- Still under Wilson 's control and on same site.
|1944-47||Malt House and Malting floors were expanded and upgraded on the Ward St site.
New Boiler installed on Willowbank site.
|1964||Wilson Malt Extract Co. applied and were granted a licence to produce whisky.|
|1965||Investigation Distillery Ltd established to evaluate and set up processes for the production of a palatable whisky.
The 3 Baker brothers - W.Gregg and Co- Charles (finance) Lew (Chemist), Don (engineer) and Richard Boraman (chemist) were involved.
|1968/69||Distillery was set up on Willowbank site with Production starting in December 1969.
Greggs took up its entitlement of a one third share holding in Wilson Malt Extract Ltd, and sought an increase to a 49% shareholding Malt extract production continued using the existing equipment, mash tuns and vacuum evaporators.
|1974||Whisky went on sale.
Company was renamed Wilson Distillers Ltd although the name "Wilson Malt Extract" was retained for use by a non-trading subsidiary for trade registration purposes connected with malt products other than the whisky and it included the malt extract business.
|1981||Wilson Distillers sold to Seagrams via Montana Wines - whisky distilling only.
Malt and Malt Extract business remained with W Gregg and Co who leased part of the Willowbank premises back from Seagrams for malt extract production.
|1984||W Gregg and Co was merged with Cerebos (NZ) Ltd to become Cerebos Gregg"s Ltd and later(1989) this company was sold to Suntory Ltd.|
|1985||Malt Extract plant moved from Willowbank to the Greggs site at Forth St.
New equipment including mash filter and evaporators were installed.
Malted barley continued to be made at Ward St.
|Jan 1990||The Dowell family trust purchased the maltings and malt extract plant from Cerebos Greggs.
A new company - Maltexo Ltd was incorporated to own and operate the plant. It operated on the Forth St site for about 3-4years.
|1994||Malt extract plant relocated to Hornby, Christchurch.
Third set of Evaporators installed.
|1998-2000||Maltings in Ward St Dunedin , owned by Maltexo was closed.
This plant had supplied malted barley to microbreweries, food manufacturers and home brewers, for many years.
|March/May 2002||Maltexo Ltd was purchased by Lion and plant relocated to the Canterbury Brewery site (St Asaph Street).|